Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Job As A Pastor

==============

My Job as a Pastor ...

Jeremiah 23:2-4 says -- "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says to these shepherds: "Instead of leading my flock to safety, you have deserted them and driven them to destruction. Now I will pour out judgment on you for the evil you have done to them. But I will gather together the remnant of my flock from wherever I have driven them. I will bring them back into their own fold, and they will be fruitful and increase in number. Then I will appoint responsible shepherds to care for them, and they will never be afraid again. Not a single one of them will be lost or missing," says the LORD." My job is to be a responsible shepherd, because God is using me to help bring His flock back. I must lead them to safety, to Jesus.

Ezekiel 34:2-6 says "Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds, the leaders of Israel. Give them this message from the Sovereign LORD: Destruction is certain for you shepherds who feed yourselves instead of your flocks. Shouldn't shepherds feed their sheep? You drink the milk, wear the wool, and butcher the best animals, but you let your flocks starve. You have not taken care of the weak. You have not tended the sick or bound up the broken bones. You have not gone looking for those who have wandered away and are lost. Instead, you have ruled them with force and cruelty. So my sheep have been scattered without a shepherd. They are easy prey for any wild animal. They have wandered through the mountains and hills, across the face of the earth, yet no one has gone to search for them." I should feed the sheep, not myself (i.e., I should not live at a higher lifestyle than the sheep, indeed I really shouldn't draw a salary from the church), I should feed the people, protect them, guide them gently and without force, and go look for the ones who have lost their way because they have been ravaged by wolves in churchmember's clothing.

Matthew 23:4-12 says "They crush you with impossible religious demands and never lift a finger to help ease the burden. "Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear extra long tassels on their robes. And how they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the most prominent seats in the synagogue! They enjoy the attention they get on the streets, and they enjoy being called 'Rabbi.' Don't ever let anyone call you 'Rabbi,' for you have only one teacher, and all of you are on the same level as brothers and sisters. And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father. And don't let anyone call you 'Master,' for there is only one master, the Messiah. The greatest among you must be a servant. But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. " I must help lift the burden of thee Law from the shoulders of the people, by teaching them grace. I must do everything for others and not for acceptance of people. If someone wants to call me pastor or father (god forbid, I am NOT that old), then that's up to them, but I prefer either Nathan or Brother ... I, too, am a sinner in need of a savior and a sheep in need of a shepherd. I must serve, wash feet, wipe noses, clean butts.

I need to shut up and listen to the cries of the people.

No comments: